I was fiending for my next trip, literally, the moment I stepped on the plane to depart sunny Zihuatanejo. I knew I’d get my fix in a few days, however. I was only going back home for about a week and, afterwards, I’d be meeting up with my friend, Jacque, in Cartageña, Colombia…. But…things happen and plans change. Thanks to the ‘Rona, Colombia closed its border and so did most other places I’d planned to visit. Once the time is ripe, I’m hopping on a plane and yeeeeeerrrrr… I’m outta here!
The top 5 places I have to visit:
- Cartageña, Colombia – Naturally, this would be my first pick since it is where I was initially supposed to be hanging out. I’m looking forward to the vibrant colors, relaxing on the beach, eating some hearty seafood and vegetarian meals, dancing, meeting wonderful local folks, and making new discoveries. I’ve heard so many great things about Cartageña and am ready to experience it for myself, and maybe Jacque and I can still meet up there.
- Montego Bay, Jamaica – I’ve been to Montego once before, but it was for a wedding, I was with a group, and I didn’t have the freedom to roam about on my own to explore the area. I enjoyed the laid back, carefree atmosphere and fresh, straight from the tree fruits. Most of the folks I came in contact with were friendly and welcoming. I loved the food! I wasn’t pescatarian back then. This go ’round, I’ll be passing on the fantabulous goat stew, jerk chicken, and other meat filled dishes I fell in love with. The conch salad, ackee and saltfish, ital dishes, boiled breadfruit and other similar deliciousness are fair game. I’m sure I’ll find some vegetarian and vegan versions of the meat dishes.
- Peru- Lima and Machu Picchu– While CouchSurfing in Mexico City, I met Yulesi. She’s a young Peruvian solo adventurer. She was finishing up her 6 month solo journey around the Americas, and I was just starting mine. We couchsurfed with the same host and hung out for most of the one day she had left in Mexico. We got along so well, almost like we’d known one another for years. She invited me to visit her hometown of Lima and to take a trip to the famous Machu Picchu. How could I pass that up?
- Mexico City– What?! Again?? Yeah, I really have to go back. I met some great people while there and promised to return later this year to try my new friend, Theresa’s, La Xaymaca Jamaican restaurant. Plus, I can’t wait to hang out with Theresa and Roxanne, again. They’re amazing people.
- Lagos, Nigeria – It’s time I made my way over to the Mother Land. In case you haven’t figured it out, already, I really love food, y’all. I can’t wait to dig into some pescatarian-friendly Nigerian dishes and explore the area. There are a couple of people I’m looking forward to catching up with, too.
I can’t wait to get my travel back on in the next few weeks or so…hopefully.
Have you visited any of these places? How was your experience? What are your post-Corona travel plans? I’m all ears…er…eyes.
Until next time,
Happy and Safe Travels (if you can)!