If you enjoy working with kids 12 and under and are looking for a fun online gig with flexible scheduling, VIPKID might be the job for you.
Do I need to be able to speak Chinese?
Not at all. You’ll use TPR (body language and gestures) and props to help your students understand what you’re saying.
Is this a full-time job?
This is a contract job, renewable every 6 months. Whether it’s full-time or not depends on your availability. You set your own hours. So, if you want to work part-time, you can. If you want to make it a full-time gig, go for it! It’s all up to you.
Where will I work?
That’s up to you, too. The company headquarters is in China, but you can work from anywhere in the world. Teach from your kitchen or from a corner in your living room.
Will I be required to create lessons?
Nope! VIPKID’s lessons are already made for you, so there’s no lesson planning. All you have to do is review the lessons so you’ll know what you’ll be teaching, how you’ll teach it, and which props you’ll need.
What are the prerequisites?
- Fluent or native English-speaker
- Able to legally work in the U.S. or Canada (If you’re not sure, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if you’re eligible.) **California residents are no longer eligible for hire due to Assembly Bill (AB) 5. Read about it here.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher (any major)
- TESOL/TEFL Certificate (preferred, but not required)*
- One year or more of teaching/tutoring experience (Any experience working with kids, helping with your younger siblings, or having kids of your own count!)
- A big smile and lots of personality!
*If you don’t have TEFL certification, you can click here to obtain a globally recognized certificate that can be used with any company online or abroad, or you can obtain one through VIPKID once you’ve been hired. If you take the latter route, the certificate can only be used with VIPKID and can’t be transferred to another ESL company.
What technical equipment do I need?
- Desktop, Laptop, MacBook, iPad, or Microsoft Surface with a built-in camera or external camera
- Windows 7, 8 and 10; Mac OS 10.X or higher operating system (Linux and Chrome OS are NOT supported by VIPKid)
- Intel i5 processor or better
- At least 8GB of RAM
- Wired high-speed internet connection of 25 Mbps or better
- A headset with a noise canceling microphone
How much will I be paid?
VIPKID‘s pay ranges from $15 to $22 plus bonuses. Your pay will be determined by what you bring to the table in terms of qualifications and your interview performance. Having TEFL certification can help you score a higher pay rate. As an online teacher, you’ll be an independent contractor, so taxes will not be deducted from your pay. Click here to get familiar with independent contractor tax obligations.
Be sure to read through the teacher FAQ’s on the company website to get more information. Once established as a VIPKID teacher, you’ll enjoy the freedom of working remotely, having fun, and making a stable income. Don’t delay, apply today!